BFN Accelerate follows a classic cohort-based accelerator model. Each year, we will accept 8-10 teams from the U of T community with at least one Black-identifying founder to participate in an intense three-month program. Our hope is that BFN Accelerate will be complementary and can be completed concurrently with initiatives delivered by U of T’s accelerators.
This is for existing teams and early-stage companies with viable ideas ready to be turned into minimum viable products (MVPs) and MVPs looking to achieve product-market fit. BFN Accelerate provides Black-led startups with access to non-dilutive funding awards (up to $25k per venture) and resources to help defray professional services costs (eg. legal, accounting, technology).
The structured program delivers education and workshops tailored for Black entrepreneurs, including workshops/sessions with an emphasis on market & customer research, MVP product development, competitor analysis, beta testing, revenue generation and product-market fit. Plus, members of BFN Accelerate gain access to weekly Entrepreneur and Investor “in-residence” office hours, dedicated mentorship and dedicated co-working space for teams.
BFN Accelerate will help you develop solutions to meet the customer’s needs, launch of MVP/beta, start to grow your team, generate revenue, secure funding and explore value chain/distribution partnerships.
- Case studies with successful Black founders
- Case studies with successful, Black-led companies
- Customer-centric product development
- Achieving product-market fit
- Revenue (sales) & lead generation
- Value chains & distribution
- Branding, marketing & media training
- Engaged storytelling
- Building inclusive companies & products
- Startup accounting, legal & operations workshops
- Investor readiness workshops