Level 1 of the IP Education Program is comprised of three online Modules:
Module 1: Definition of Intellectual Property and its Different Forms
- 1.1. Introduction to Intellectual Property (IP) and IP Rights
- 1.2. Patents – Learn the Basics
- 1.3 Copyright – Learn the Basics
- 1.4 Industrial Designs – Learn the Basics
- 1.5 Trademarks – Learn the Basics
- 1.6 Trade Secrets – Learn the Basics
Module 2: The Value of IP
- 2.1 Value of Patents
- 2.2 Value of Copyright
- 2.3 Value of Industrial Designs
- 2.4 Value of Trademarks
Module 3 – Applying for a Patent
This online program will be augmented with optional lectures, workshops and presentations outside of this training as part of a general IP education program at the University. Participation in these events is highly encouraged but not required for completion of the program.
No prior knowledge of intellectual property is required to take this training.
Content and Teaching Material
The majority of the teaching material will come from external resources created by national or regional Intellectual Property Offices and/or non-profit organizations that have created excellent content and tools for understanding basic and advanced concepts in intellectual property and IP strategy. Sections within the modules will provide the external links to the content to cover that section.
Many thanks to the contributions of:
Lead Instructor – Jae-Ho Yoo, Innovations and Entrepreneurship Manager, Innovations & Partnerships Office, University of Toronto
Jennifer Fraser, Director, Innovations, Innovations & Partnerships Office, University of Toronto
Tamara O’Connell, Patent Portfolio Manager, Innovations & Partnerships Office, University of Toronto
Shiri Breznitz, Associate Professor and Director, Master of Global Affairs Program, Munk School of Global Affairs & Public Policy, University of Toronto
and our video presenters:
- Joella Almeida, Co-Founder and COO, MedEssist
- Seray Çiçek, Co-Founder & CEO, LSK Technologies Inc.
- Melisa Ellis, Founder and CEO, Nobellum Enterprise
- Vikram Pandit, Co-Founder and CEO, Phycus Biotechnologies Inc.
- Pooja Viswanathan, PhD, CEO & Founder, Braze Mobility Inc.
Level 1 – Learning Module Descriptions and Requirements
This training is intended to provide a strong background in the basics of Intellectual Property (IP). Completion of Level I will be mandatory for startups occupying the ONRamp space and those seeking to access the UTEST program and may also be implemented by other university accelerators. In addition, students and alumni firms requesting university resources to support their attendance at conferences or tradeshows will also be required to have completed Level I.
Level 1 – Learning Objectives
This level covers the following topics:
- The concept of Intellectual Property (IP) and IP rights
- The different types of IP rights and what they protect
- The value of IP in commercialization
- The basics of filing a patent application
By the end of this training, you should be able to:
- Identify the most appropriate type of IP protection for the different forms of IP
- Recognize the different strategies for deriving value from IP rights
- Describe the basic requirements and steps involved in securing a patent in Canada
Level 1 Assignments
Graded Quizzes: At the end of each Module, there is a graded quiz that will help test your comprehension of the material. There will also be a Level 1 – Quiz to test your overall application of the concepts. Students are required to score at least 80% on all 4 quizzes to count as a completion. Multiple attempts to obtain a passing score are permitted.
Reflection Survey: Students must also complete a reflection survey to determine how they have engaged with the material and what strategies they hope to apply to future situations and settings. This assignment will not be graded, but completion of the entire survey is required.
For current University of Toronto students, successful completion of Level 1 will result in a Knowledge Creation and Innovation credential on their Co-Curricular Record (CCR).
For any questions regarding this training and other IP educational events, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
For more information on How to Navigate This Training, please go to the next page.