University of Toronto Resources
U of T Entrepreneurship is the hub of the entrepreneurial ecosystem at U of T. Find out about:
- Workspace and networking opportunities through ONRamp.
- Entrepreneurial courses and programs
- Accelerators and incubators
- Funding opportunities
Innovations & Partnerships Office is the technology transfer office for the University of Toronto.
U of T Entrepreneurship Library is another important resource when working with University IP, market research, and events.
Other Resources for Start-ups
Centres of Excellence in the Commercialization of Research ( CECR’s ) help bridge the gap between innovation and commercialization. The centres adopt different models to best serve the commercialization needs of their sector; acting as investors, incubators or service providers.
U of T is a member of the CECR’s listed below but has access to many others.
- CCRM aims to harness the power of stem cells and biomaterials to treat disease
- TIAP specializes in extreme early-stage seed investing for companies and technology emerging from its 15 member institutions, of which U of T is one
Regional Innovation Centres ( RICs ) provide specialized assistance in 18 regions across the province to accelerate start-up and growth of entrepreneurial talent and globally competitive, innovative companies with value-added advice, access to capital, market intelligence, mentoring, and peer- networking programs. U of T entrepreneurs often access the resources of our local RICs.
- Communitech is an innovation hub located in Waterloo Region that provides support and collaboration to +1400 technology entrepreneurs.
- Entrepreneurship.org was formed as a free, online international resource designed to help build entrepreneurial economies.
- How to Build a Startup is a course designed to introduce the basics of building a successful start-up.
- MaRS In addition to their Start, Growth and Scale Programs, MaRS has a variety of online courses and resources that are accessible to all; please visit the MaRS Library
- Oneeleven is North America’s largest scale-up innovation hub focused on helping the most promising, high-growth start-ups build their businesses and scale their operations.
- RIC Centre is Mississauga, Brampton and Caledon’s innovation hub, providing free support services to entrepreneurs focused on IT, Clean Tech, and Advanced Material manufacturing sectors.
- Startup Canada Awards
- VentureLAB operates out of York Region to help technology entrepreneurs build scalable, high-growth tech businesses.
IP Education & Training Programs
In addition to University of Toronto’s IP Education Program, the following education and training programs are also available to educate you in IP:
- Intellectual Property Institute of Canada (IPIC)
- Licensing Executive Society (LES) – LES offers paid courses on IP Licensing, taught by experienced IP Licensing people – one lawyer and one IP Licensing professional instructor per class, including instructors w/ strong industry & university licensing experience. For a list of the courses, please click here.
Common Innovation Funding & Grants
General Awards and Investor Groups
Government of Canada Awards and Funding
- Canada.ca Research Funding and Awards
- Canada’s Strategic Innovation Fund
- Canadian Institutes of Health Research: Funding Opportunities
- Canadian International Innovation Program (CIIP)
- Governor General’s Innovation Awards
- Innovative Solutions Canada
- Mentor Networks: Canadian Government Funding for Small Businesses
- Mitacs Accelerate Program
- National Research Council of Canada—Industrial Research Assistance Program (IRAP)
- Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada—Idea to Innovation Grants
Awards for Ontario Entrepreneurs
- Ontario.ca Early Researcher Awards
- Ontario Centres of Innovation (OCI)
- Ontario Tax Exemption for Commercialization
- Business Scale-up and Productivity Program
- Canadian Media Fund: Innovation & Experimentation Program
- Innovation for Defence Excellence and Security (IDEaS)
- Ontario Interactive Digital Media Fund
- Quantum Leap Funding Program
Funding for Initiatives in Social Innovation
Women in Innovation Funding