Are you a U of T student or recent graduate working with a U of T incubator/accelerator program on a promising social venture?
The Lo Family Social Venture Fund helps U of T students and recent graduates take the most promising, solutions-based social enterprises to the next level, providing support for student-driven ventures that will positively impact the global community – particularly in Asia.
- Undergraduate awards are up to $15,000 and graduate awards are up to $30,000.
Who is eligible to apply?
- Applicants must be students of the University of Toronto or recent alumni (up to two years post-graduation) who have founded and are actively working on a social venture affiliated with one of the incubators/accelerators at the University of Toronto. For instances where the applicant is not a co-founder, consideration will be given to documented early team members who have been employed for a minimum of six months and / or own a minimum 10% equity in the business.
- Awards will be offered to social enterprises that are entrepreneurially innovative and global-minded, with consideration of how they could positively impact communities in Asia.
- Competition is open to all students across the University – regardless of their area of study.
- Project applications may include more than one student from different academic areas.
- Former winners of the Lo Family Social Venture Fund are not eligible to apply.
How do I apply?
Applications are now accepted on a rolling basis.
Lo Family Social Venture Fund applications are to be submitted electronically in PDF format as one file using the naming convention LastFirst_LoFamilyFund_2020 to firstname.lastname@example.org:
- Please use the subject line: Application: 2020 Lo Family Social Venture Fund
- Please include a completed 2020 Lo Family Social Venture Fund Application Form which will outline:
- Statement of Aims and Objectives
- Parameters of the social enterprise, including design & methodology
- Anticipated timeline o Impact/future plans and knowledge translation
- Relevant training and research experience of applicant(s)
- Applicability of project to specific areas in Asia
- Please also include your curriculum vitae (no page restrictions), including information concerning the application. Updates to curriculum vitae will not be accepted after submission.
- Applicants are responsible for ensuring completeness of the application and incomplete applications will not be considered.
- The award recipient(s) must provide a progress report six months and one year following receipt.
- The award recipient(s) are expected to participate in the University of Toronto Entrepreneurship Week annual startup showcase in March each year; if social distancing or other restrictions are in place, this participation could be virtual.
- Publications (print or online) and/or presentations made possible by the Lo Family Social Venture Fund should carry the following acknowledgement: “Supported by the Lo Family Social Venture Fund at the University of Toronto”.
What is the review process and award criteria?
All award applications will be reviewed and assessed by an adjudication committee comprised of social entrepreneurship and innovation faculty members, researchers and directors from our incbubator/accelerator programs, and will be evaluated based on the following criteria:
- Entrepreneurial merit (validity, integrity, originality);
- Potential for social impact;
- Relevance to the global community; and
- Special consideration will be given to social enterprises that could positively impact communities in Asia.
- Viability of project;
- Demonstrable market research;
- Stage of development (prototype, pre-launch, etc.);
- Resources required to advance the project; and
- Relevant training and expertise of applicant(s).
Please direct all questions regarding the Lo Family Social Venture Fund or application process to:
Program & Business Services Coordinator, University of Toronto Entrepreneurship
Subject line: Questions: Lo Family Social Venture Fund