- This event has passed.
Application Deadline: U of T Sustainability Innovation Prize
April 8, 2019 @ 5:00 pmFree
Do you have a sustainable student-led idea, project or startup? Apply now for the U of T Sustainability Innovation Prize – our new annual competition offering $15,000 in prizes to recognize, reward and accelerate the University of Toronto’s most innovative sustainability ideas. Selected individuals or teams will compete by showcasing their idea via a five-minute pitch to a panel of judges. The three winning teams will each receive a $5,000 prize to develop their idea further.
Who is eligible to compete?
- The team has at least one founder who is a current U of T student, post doc or a recent alum (i.e. graduated no earlier than July 2017).
- Open to all faculties and sectors across the tri-campus.
- Applicants must have less than $25,000 cumulative funding or investment (not including research grants), and less than $25,000 cumulative revenue as of April 1, 2019.
- Entrants must be able to present their pitch in person to the panelists on June 12, 2019 in ONRamp.
How can I apply?
- Competition entry: Please email the completed Application Form and three-page Executive Summary about your idea to firstname.lastname@example.org before 5:00pm on Monday, April 8, 2019. Applications received after this time will not be considered.
- Competition preparation with an advisor: The finalists will be notified in April and encouraged to work with an advisor from one of our accelerators or incubators to help them prepare and perfect their pitch.
- Competition day on June 12, 2019: The competition will take place from 2:00-5:00pm on Wednesday, June 12 in ONRamp,with ten finalists. Each team will present a five-minute pitch to a panel of experts followed by a five-minute Q and A from the panel. Three winners will be announced and win $5,000 each to develop their idea.
What is the criteria for judging?
At both the entry and competition day stages, the panel of judges will be looking for the idea’s:
- Opportunity: A clearly articulated and compelling value proposition
- Viability and impact: Demonstrated market opportunity and knowledge
- Growth potential: Sustainable and scalable idea
- Innovation: Intellectual property and/or strong competitive differentiation
- Talent: A strong team
- Communication skills: An effective and persuasive overall Executive Summary and pitch presentation
Apply now for your chance to win prize money to take your sustainability idea, project, or startup to the next level!
Questions about the U of T Sustainability Innovation Prize or application process can be sent to email@example.com.